Shockwave therapy is a highly effective and clinically proven modality and treatment option for ongoing and chronic soft tissue injuries and certain conditions, such as Plantar Fasciitis and Calcific Tendinitis.
The treatment is administered by the Fulcrum Therapy licensed chiropractors and physiotherapists in Coquitlam with extensive training on various soft tissue injuries and their healing processes.
Tissue repair involves a series of musculoskeletal steps involving collagen deposition and blood vessel formations.
The high energy pulses of the shockwave facilitate the healing process by inducing microtrauma in the tissue, bringing more blood flow to result in superior Orthopaedic outcomes.
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave Therapy, commonly referred to in the literature as ESWT (Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy) has been widely used as an alternative method for the treatment of plantar fasciitis because it is noninvasive, its recovery time is fast and it is convenient for daily life of patients.
Another common term you may hear is EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology) which describes the shockwave machine that uses high energy sound waves that is applied via a hand held applicator and can penetrate as deep as 7cm past the surface of the skin. Extracorporeal means “outside of the body”. Treatments are done at the office, have minimal side effects and allow for immediate return to play after treatment is provided when approved by your practitioner.
What Conditions Can Be Treated by Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy has multiple health benefits and a wide range of symtoms can be taken care of using this treatment technique.
We have listed some of the most common conditons that can be treated using shockwave therapy below:
- Reduces, or even eliminates, the need for surgery
- Works in cases where surgery is not possible
- Treats common joint and soft tissue injuries non-invasively and without the use of steroids
- Shortens recovery times
- Brings athletes back stronger than before the injury
- In many cases is most effective where the human body has not been able to heal itself on its own
Benefits of Shockwave Therapy/ESWT/EPAT
Multiple benefits are know so far for shockwave therapy as one of the chiropractic techniques. Some of them are:
- Speeds up the healing process through formation of new blood vessels.
- Stimulation of collagen production and deposition into the injured tissues.
- Shockwaves stimulate fibroblasts that are cells responsible for healing of connective tissue such as tendons.
- Shockwave also stimulates osteoblasts/osteoclasts that are responsible for healing of bone tissue but also to break down calcium deposits.
- Short term reduction of the perception of pain by over stimulating nerve endings
- Long term reduction of pain via the Gate Control Mechanism of pain that inhibits travel of pains signals to the brain.
- Affecting cell membrane physiology that causes increase in cell membrane metabolism and cellular regeneration of the injured area.
- Provides mechanical force that physically impacts hardened tissues such as calcium deposits and helps with calcific tendinitis of the shoulder
How Can I Get Shockwave Treatment?
Shockwave therapy is a popular modality we use at the clinic. To receive Shockwave Therapy, book a regular chiropractic or physiotherapy visit and make sure to mention that you would like to receive or try shockwave therapy. The practitioners will conduct an assessment of your condition and if there are no contraindications that would put you at risk, this treatment can be performed on the same day of the assessment.
Shockwave therapy can be claimed under your extended health care benefits for chiropractic and physiotherapy. If you are eligible for MSP, you will also be eligible to receive shockwave therapy. Give us a call to find out more.